Upload Contacts via CSV
This article will show you how to upload your contacts into Wooly via a CSV file.
Before You Start
Here’s what you’ll need to import contacts into Wooly.
- The email addresses of the people for whom you want to gather social data.
- A blank sheet in a spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets, saved or exported as a comma-separated value (CSV) file.
- **You can also download this CSV template and fill in the relevant columns.
- If you have additional data points you'd like to upload (like Purchase Info), please read the "Importing Custom Properties" section of this article prior to uploading!
Prepare For Import
To prepare your file for import, follow these steps.
1. In a spreadsheet program like Excel or Sheets, open your blank worksheet.
2. Create and label the columns for the email addresses and names. ( Note: the email column is the only field that we require)
3. Paste the information into the relevant fields in the spreadsheet.
4. Save the file in CSV format. This option can usually be accessed from the File menu in your spreadsheet program, labeled as “Export as .CSV” or “Download as .CSV”. Different spreadsheet programs will vary a little bit. If you use another file type, we won’t be able to process the file.
5. Any values that have commas should be enclosed in quotation marks to be a valid CSV file and keep the columns and rows correctly inline. If you save the file correctly as a CSV, the spreadsheet program will do this for you.
Importing Custom Properties
Wooly now supports uploading additional data beyond basic customer information... we call these Properties. Custom properties are fields you set up for your brand to further organize or segment your contacts. You might want to upload additional customer data into Wooly, such as Amount Spent, Number of Purchases, or Last Purchase Date. Essentially any information that will help you know your customer better. Additionally, if you are uploading a list of your current ambassadors, you might have additional data to include about them that you want automatically added to their profile.
*Be sure to add the Custom Properties within Wooly prior to uploading your list! You can do so under Settings > Properties. If you import a CSV with additional columns that are not mapped to supported fields, then it will still be flagged for review by our team.
When mapping values to custom properties, it's typically the same as any other CSV field mapping.
Note: Checklist Custom Property Mapping: If you are mapping custom property values to a checklist field type, then the value in the CSV column needs to be enclosed in quotation marks and be a valid array of values. For example, if your property name is "Favorite Sports" the value should look something like this: "["Cycling", "Hiking", "Running"]" . Or if you just have 1 value it should look like this: "["Cycling"]"
Now that you’ve completed these steps, you’re ready to import the CSV file to a Wooly list!
Visit the Data Sources tab on your dashboard. There you can add a new CSV file in the upper, right-hand corner.
Map/match the columns in your CSV to one of the system fields.